Muscat University is looking to grow its Faculty of Engineering and Technology through the appointment of a Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Chemical Engineering. Applications are welcomed from those with experience of teaching and research in a wide range of discipline fields including, but not exclusive to, Process Engineering, Water Treatment Technologies, Energy Systems, and Sustainability and Environment.
With an ethos of providing an exceptional student experience, the post holder will work with the Faculty Director and the UK visiting faculty to ensure efficient and effective delivery of modules. S/he will be responsible for ensuring that curriculum management and enhancement activities comply with required standards of the Omani accreditation authorities and those of the UK partners.
For appointment to the Lecturer rank, a minimum of a PhD qualification in Chemical Engineering discipline or closely related field is needed along with experience of Higher Education (HE) teaching. For the SL rank, a minimum of a PhD in Chemical Engineering discipline or closely related field is required from an accredited university, a solid research profile, and a minimum of three years’ post-doctoral HE teaching (including at Master’s level). Experience of the UK HE sector and/or the Omani and GCC HE environments would be an advantage, as would strong links to industry, and experience of an international context. In addition to teaching, the post-holder at the SL level will be responsible for developing and supervising research projects, enhancing collaborative activities with industry and practicing leading-edge research through an international publication record.
The Sultanate of Oman is investing heavily in Chemical Engineering sector to support its strategy for 2040. Human capital and research are key pillars underpinning this strategy and Muscat University is well-placed to play an important role as facilitator through its vision of being a beacon of excellence in innovation and entrepreneurship, delivering high-quality teaching, facilitating learning, and conducting rigorous research that is relevant to the social and economic priorities of Oman.
We acknowledge, understand, and embrace diversity and expect the joining faculty to display and apply the same principles.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Deliver a high-quality teaching experience on the wide range of Engineering Fundamentals, Electives, and Chemical Engineering modules in undergraduate and the Master’s level programmes.
- Construct, plan and assess student assignments, and liaison with the partner universities (for partnership programmes).
- Liaise with the Faculty Director on all student matters including timetabling, academic and technical support.
- Undertake the role of Personal Tutor.
- Undertake research and scholarly activity with a view to publishing in refereed international academic journals.
- Engage with external bodies and industry to enrich the student experience, including visiting students on industrial placement.
- Be prepared to travel (including internationally) on University affairs.
- Participate in University meetings and events including Board of Examiners, Programme Reviews, Planning and Monitoring Committees and Staff/Student Liaison.
- Maintain flexible working patterns which may include some evening and weekend work in support of Programme/Faculty/University business.
Education & Qualifications:
- PhD (or equivalent) in Chemical Engineering discipline or closely related field.
- Professional qualifications and/or memberships of recognized bodies.
- Fellowship of the HE Academy or willingness to work towards (within 18 months).
Skills and Aptitudes:
- Ability to communicate with clarity on complex & conceptual ideas to those with limited knowledge & understanding, and to peers, using high level skills & a range of media.
- Ability to think critically and promote innovation and creativity.
- Demonstrates competences, core behaviour and supplementary behaviour that support and promote the University’s core values.
- Committed to ensuring a high-quality student experience.
Additional requirements at Senior Lecturer level:
- Ability to devise, advise on and manage research programmes.
- Track record of published research in internationally recognised journals.
- Experience of teaching modules in Chemical Engineering disciplines in Higher Education for the Lecturer position and at least three years’ HE teaching (including at Master’s level) for Senior Lecturer position.
- Experience of the Omani and GCC HE environments.
- Strong links to industry and experience of an international context.
- Academic accreditation or quality assurance experiences.
- Strong track record in research and scholarly activities or ability to demonstrate capability for same.
Terms and Conditions:
The appointment will be made at the appropriate level, according to the appointee’s qualifications and experience. A competitive compensation and benefits package will be offered in accordance with Sultanate of Oman Labour Law